High Latency: AT&T throttles WoW

                                       I do not admit to watching DBZ as a teen. Nope...

Ever since the latest patch dropped I have been experiencing high latency and chain disconnections.  At first, I hadn't believed it was a problem with my ISP. My usual internet browsing was seamless and without error.  My problem with high latency always occurred within the game.  I submitted lag reports; one after another. Several help requests were created on the Technical support forum.

At this point, my world latency was reaching levels of 2500ms and higher.  The only help I received was a cookie cutter response of: "check your drivers, flush your DNS, delete your cache" etc etc.  In a state of frustration, I contacted my ISP and was assured that the problem was entirely on Blizzard's end.  When I telephoned Blizzard's customer service I was given the same turnaround, "It's not us".

I was being driven crazy.  No longer was I able to quest, raid, or run heroics. I couldn't even post auctions. The only thing I could do ingame was sit in a capital city and read trade/guild chat. Completely unacceptable. If I wanted that sort of thing I would rather visit social hubs like Twitter or Facebook.  Suffice it to say,  I had a horrid, unplayable game, and I was not happy.

The moment I began to truly suspect it was an ISP issue was when I came across a blog entry at WoW Insider. posted on July 15th. The article was called, "The Lawbringer: Letters to Rogers, Letters to Congress." Apparently certain Internet providers have been bandwidth throttling World of Warcraft.  AT&T was one of them.

What was left to do was done in a flash. I cancelled my DNS service to AT&T and signed up with a different provider. It's been about two days since I have been with my new ISP service. What are the results you ask? I'll let the screenshots speak for themselves.

AT&T




Earthlink




Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts